Monday, August 25, 2008

Farewell, Beijing...

Well, I suspect my readers have been as caught up in the Olympics as I have, more or less. In addition to watching the various events (some of them over and over and over again) and getting my Mom's take on them (like her comment on the water polo: "If they are going to have Water Polo, they ought to have to use horses!"), it's been fun to hear the back stories of the athletes and the Games, and to read about them as well.

I'm going to miss the daily special "Beijing 2008" section in the LA Times devoted to the Games, with its chatty columns and terrific photographs, even though I didn't have time to read most of them...yet. (Almost all of them are in a stack in my room, with the exception of a couple that I donated to the box-packing effort when I forgot and took all the other newspapers out prematurely to the recycling center...)

Anyhow, there were a couple columns today that I thought would be of interest to other Olympics aficionados. There was one with a different take on the medals stats, and another with lots of questions (my readers mostly know how I love questions!)

A day or two ago there was also this one about how the Chinese handled the Games and their population's involvement in them.

Oh, and one more link from this morning's Calendar section, this one to a little known historical aspect of the Games: the artistic medals!
Well, I'm off to reconstruct my pre-Games life... but I'd love to hear my readers' take on the Games. It might help us all through the withdrawal...

No comments: