Friday, January 27, 2006

more about books...

I don't have enough room to put all the books I have loved on the little list in my profile, and besides, whoever looks there anyhow? So I'm thinking I might post from time to time on books I have enjoyed. I listed a few in my last post, but there are lots of others... just now, looking for other things, I came across a link I made to the website for an author whose book I loved when I read it a few years ago. The book is Learning to Fall: The Blessings of an Imperfect Life, and it's by Philip Simmons. I loved this book because it helped me to see things in a different way, helped me to look at my life in a different way than I had before. Phil Simmons said the blessing of his illness (he suffered from ALS) was that “a fuller consciousness of my own mortality has been my best guide to being more fully alive”.

Another book that came to mind this morning is Nurse Matilda, by Christianna Brand. I read this one with my kids (I think mostly Emily) and we loved it, and the sequel to it, whose name I can't remember at the moment. There is a new movie out that is loosely based on the Nurse Matilda books, Nanny McPhee. Emma Thompson did the adaptation and stars in the movie. I read a review of it and a story about Thompson writing the screenplay in this morning's paper. Sounds good, though there are several major departures from the book...

I'm interested in knowing what books you-all have enjoyed, too.
Gotta run! Lots to do today and time's getting away from me...

No comments: