Wednesday, September 26, 2007

more about the Free Cycle adventure

So, I'm still tired (or tired again, is more like it) but I wanted to elaborate on why I posted the "Free-cycle" post. When the person I bought this condo from moved in June, she left me a cupboard on the screen porch (which I was happy about) full of paint and gardening stuff and junk (which I was not happy about!) I finally got around to cleaning it out this past weekend -- it's been too hot out there when I have thought about doing it before -- and I found it was even more full of old paint and other junk than I remembered. So, I figured I would have to cart the paint over to the recycling center in Fort Mill. But when I was taking a break in the afternoon I was poking around on the web, and something I saw there reminded me of Freecycle, a site I had heard about in the past, where some people give away things they no longer need, and other people ask for things they need in case anyone has that to give away. So I joined the Rock Hill and the Charlotte Freecycle groups, and posted an ad offering the paint, etc., on the Rock Hill site. I didn't know what to expect, so I didn't get my hopes up, but I received five responses before the day was out, and have now given away most of the paint and all the extra painting paraphernalia and the excess flower pots that were in the cupboard! And the rest is promised. Now I am trying to think of other stuff to give away... Maybe somebody will want some of my surplus math books :-)

No comments: